Devils' drop-off: COVID-19 saliva testing
ASU offers a free, individual, easy drop-off COVID-19 testing option to all students, faculty and staff.
What is Devils’ drop-off?
Devils’ drop-off is an on-campus COVID-19 saliva testing option open to all students, faculty and staff. No appointments are required — pick up a kit from an on-campus location, register it online and drop it off once you’ve collected your saliva sample. Pick-up and drop-off locations are available on all four ASU campuses in the Phoenix metropolitan area and our sites in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. Once you register your kit online, you have 24 hours to collect and deposit your sample at one of the on-campus drop-off bins. You must drop off your sample within one hour of collecting it.Drop-off locations FAQs Instrucciones en español
How does this work?
Pickup your testing kit
Devils’ drop-off kits are available for pick-up at numerous locations on all four ASU campuses in the Phoenix metropolitan area and our sites in Los Angeles and Washington, D.C. No appointments are required. Kits include an instructional pamphlet, a sample tube, straw, disinfectant wipe and biohazard bag.Find a pick-up location
Register your sample tube online
Before dropping off your sample, it must be registered online.
Log into My Health Portal and select Devils’ drop-off from the sidebar. Register your barcodes when prompted.
Faculty, staff and ASU online students:
Log in to ASUsalivatest.site and select Devils’ drop-off. Register your barcodes when prompted.
To create an account, use the agency code EDPLUS if you are an ASU online student or the agency code 2tzzr5xi if you are faculty or staff.
Note: Once you register your sample, you have 24 hours to collect your sample and drop it off.
Taking the test
0. Before you start
- Hydrate well to help accumulate saliva, but cease 30 minutes before your test.
- Rinse your mouth with plain water for 20–30 seconds and then spit it out.
- Do not eat, drink, smoke, vape or chew gum after you rinse your mouth at least 30 minutes before your test.
1. Find a private location
Do not collect your saliva sample near drop-off locations. Collect your sample stationary and socially distanced, preferably outside
2. Remove the cap from the tube
3. Fill the tube with saliva
To correctly submit a saliva sample, let your mouth water and fill with saliva. Use the straw to fill the tube with saliva (not including bubbles) to the designated fill line.
- Clear saliva. Slightly cloudy and small amounts of debris OK.
- Saliva measures between minimum and maximum fill lines (not including bubbles).
- Milky or opaque saliva (any color).
- Large amounts of debris in saliva.
- A tube filled with phlegm/mucus instead of saliva.
- Saliva below the minimum line.
- Saliva above the maximum line (not including bubbles).
- Saliva in cap. Do not use the cap as a funnel.
4. Seal the tube
Remove the straw from the tube and re-cap the tube. Dispose of the straw in a waste receptacle; do not litter.
5. After capping the tube, seal it inside the bag
Wipe the sealed tube with the provided sanitizing wipe. Place the tube into the provided biohazard bag and ensure the bag is sealed. Wash your hands thoroughly after the tube is in the biohazard bag.
Drop off your sample
Take your sample tube, sealed inside the provided biohazard bag to the nearest Devils’ drop-off location.
Note: Your sample must be dropped off within one hour of collecting it.Find a drop-off location